There are as many nights as days,
and the one is just as long as the other
in the year’s course. Even a happy life
cannot be without a measure of darkness,
and the word ‘happy’ would lose its meaning
if it were not balanced with sadness.
What makes you happy? Please post your thoughts on Twitter or right here at Poemattic.
After reading this quote, I thought about the things that make me happy and better still what I can do to be happier. I believe the secret is this: be unafraid of change, savor the moment when big things happen but be the happiest with the small things. Small events happen every second of the day that may bring a smile to your face.
Accept happiness unconditionally. Restore what childhood and youth provided for us which is the ability to see beauty in many things. Most of the time beauty is present in the small things. Happiness will sneak up on us and we must learn to keep it close by.
Thoreau said to “keep pace with the drummer you hear, however measured or far away.” That drummer announces the happy and the sad and there lies the balance we need. So like the song says, “be happy, don’t worry.” Happiness is never far away.
These are a few of the things that make me truly happy and not necessarily in the order they are in:
- waking up to a gorgeous sun rise
- watching the trees sway
- a child’s chuckle
- my grandsons’ smiles
- my daughter’s eyes when she is happy
- my son when he calls just to say hello
- my family
- my husband’s tender look
- a field of aromatic lavender
- when I observe someone being compassionate
- a conversation with my best friend
- knowing I have been helpful to someone
- cooking for family and friends
- listening to old records or CDs
- a crunchy apple
- a vase full of fresh cut daisies
- happiness (urdamage.wordpress.com)
- We are the inventor!!! (ptsdawayout.com)
- Happiness lies within… (kirtidube.wordpress.com)
- 31 Quotes on Peaceful and Conscious Living (odewire.com)
- The Things Happy People Know (thoughtcatalog.com)
- It’s okay to feel Sad sometimes! (notinindia2012.wordpress.com)
- Experience Happiness (nationalbsd.wordpress.com)