The Coqui is a tiny cricket frog common to the beautiful island of Puerto Rico. Its call is unique and clear, My cousin’s nickname is Coqui and when she would go out at night we could hear the Coqui calling out her name. My beloved grandmother would respond in Spanish with this short rhyme when the cricket frog called out my cousin’s name. It means: No, Coqui is not here.
“No, Coqui no esta aqui.”
I was listening to a Coqui this evening and the clarity with which it sang reminded of my grandmother’s refrain. Thus Haiku # 52 is born.
secret calls at night
all of nature listen to the
By Melba Christie
- The Haiku Epiphany (haikumatters.wordpress.com)
- Butterfly Haiku (legendsofwindemere.com)
- Daily Haiku (planet.infowars.com)
- Eavesdropping on endangered species with iPods and machine learning (wired.co.uk)
- Let’s Talk About: Coquí frogs (repeatingislands.com)
- Haiku (darthjuan.wordpress.com)